Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Zombie Game That Disappointed Me Greatly

Dead Island was the game that for almost the entire year before it came out I could not stop reading about it and watching trailers. I was so excited. It looked exactly like my zombie survival game dream in the form of a video game. It's a zombie RPG with some FPS action. You complete quests for various characters that you happen across  in a bid to keep as many characters alive as possible (or not) you main goal is to be rescued obviously.

What I don't understand is that on paper it has everything I want, but when I played it I just didn't feel any spark.
I played a lot of it too, more than any of my other friends (except one but he's just one of those people that pay every game to death), but I just didn't fall in love with it. I think it might have been the beautiful island scenery that put me off. Yes it was amazing looking and it was a great juxtaposition with zombies and all but I think if they game had been exactly the same (well almost) but with grittier scenery and more of a horror element to it might have been the love affair to end all love affairs with games (for me).

I like zombies because they scare the absolute hell out of me and I, like lot of people, live in a city (it's a city in Ireland so a town almost anywhere else) and nothing scares me more than the thought of a zombie outbreak in a city so even though I embraced the tropical island setting as an idea it didn't quiet do it for me in-game.


I didn't hate it though, like I said earlier I did play a lot of it before I decided it wasn't for me. One of my friends couldn't get enough of it though and spend hours getting all of the achievements. So maybe it was just me.

You can buy Dead Island here if you want to play it and decide for yourself.

No comments: